background

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tick-ed Off!

Poor Evan, he got a tick right in his armpit. On his birthday too! It's times like this that I'm glad he likes bugs and creepy crawly things because he wasn't freaked out like I would have been.

So let's review how to remove a tick, since it seems to have changed since Nate was a boy scout. It is no longer recommended to burn the tick with a match or smear it with Vaseline or any other substance because this will only aggravate the tick, causing it to burrow deeper and release more saliva, increasing your chance of catching diseases like lyme disease.

While Nate was busy doing all those things you should never do, I hurried and looked online at about ten different sources that all said to just grab the little bugger with tweezers as close to the head as possible and pull it out. If the head gets stuck, it will work it's way out.

Ya kinda gross. Now let me tell you MY defense against ticks: NEVER go into nature where the ticks are and they can't get you!

3 comments:

it's just lisa said...

yikes! kylie had a tick this summer too. i lost my cool pretty quickly and called a nurse. we used tweezers too.

Becky Rasmussen said...

Ah, poor little man. I'm sure this didn't do much for your disdain of the outdoors. Rats!

Karla said...

All I am going to say is that Jed and Nate think alike when it comes to ticks and thankfully, I was the one home to deal with the tick and used the tweezers.